International Bug Club
International Bug Club fosters pride in and enthusiasm for arthropod diversity by engaging young people in multidisciplinary, cross-cultural experiences, promoting a connection with the natural environment and shaping a lifelong conservation ethic.
Since 1997, Woodland Park Zoo’s Bug Club has connected kids with bugs through a variety of arts and crafts, science, music, and other multidisciplinary activities. Erin Sullivan, then a keeper in our Bug World exhibit and now a Collection Manager, participated in a Bug Club at San Francisco Zoo as a child and was inspired to establish a Bug Club when she came to work at Woodland Park Zoo. Bug Club encourages kids to explore bugs in their backyards and share their discoveries with one another. WPZ’s Bug Club meets once a month for two hours; kids sign up quarterly, but many continue on for years.
Since 2003, Bug Club has partnered with the Tree Kangaroo Conservation Program to bring Bug Club to Papua New Guinea. This began the establishment of the International Bug Club network. The International Bug Club network continues to grow. There are currently Bug Clubs in schools and zoos, including:
- Woodland Park Zoo, Seattle, Washington
- Roger Williams Park Zoo, Providence, Rhode Island
- Brookfield Zoo, Chicago, Illinois
- Santa Fe College Teaching Zoo, Gainsville, Florida
- Machias Elementary, Snohomish, Washington
- Bellevue Montessori - Pine Lake, Bellevue, Washington
- Montlake Elementary, Seattle, Washington
- First Presbyterian Church School, Tacoma, Washington
- 9 Schools in the YUS area of the Huon Peninsula, Papua New Guinea
We invite you to check out the Worldly Antenna, our International Bug Club newsletter, and if you are interested in starting a Bug Club and joining the network, please review the materials available on this site and contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Join Woodland Park Zoo's Bug Club for children ages 5-12!
If you cannot find the answers to your questions or need additional help, please contact a registrar at 206.548.2424 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.